Remember when the Super Bowl used to be about football? Well, that topic is for another time, but with approximately 111 million viewers in the United States alone last year, the Super Bowl has become a major event for the release of movie trailers. Movie trailers in their own right are a very big deal. They generate millions of hits on YouTube and some of my friends still get salty if we don’t get to the theater on time for them to see a minute of the newest Denzel flick.
Hollywood will unveil trailers for several new films during the Super Bowl and we break down the six that we’re anticipating the most.
6. World War Z – Brad Pitt stars as a United Nations worker trying to prevent the world from being wiped out by zombies. The original trailer looks cool enough, but I’m a bit concerned by the third act of the movie being re-written by not one but TWO different screenwriters. After seven weeks of re-shoots and two new third acts, America has the right to be skeptical.
5. Oz the Great and Powerful – The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies and I’m intrigued by the premise of a story of Oz set before the events of the original movie. James Franco plays Oz and he deals with the Witches of Oz (Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams) as he figures things out in the Land of Oz.
4. The Lone Ranger – Johnny Depp, Gore Verbinski, and Disney know what they’re doing. They made the Pirates franchise, and America should have high hopes for The Lone Ranger. I’m a bit concerned that Depp gets top billing for being Tonto while Armie Hammer (The Winklevoss Twins) gets second billing for being the title character. This film also had massive delays.
3. Star Trek Into Darkness – The sequel to J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek is highly anticipated and Chris Pine returns as Captain James T. Kirk. Most of the original cast and crew returns for the sequel.
2. Iron Man 3 – Iron Man 2 kinda sucked, but after The Avengers I’m anxious to see Tony Stark back in action. Robert Downey Jr. should give plenty of laughs, and hopefully the story won’t suck and the action is non-stop. Plus, Don Cheadle rocks a bad ass American version of the suit.
1. Fast and Furious 6 – If you’ve read anything at Poor Scholars, you should have known this would be top dog. The cast of Fast and Furious 5 returns (THE ROCK, VIN DIESAL, PAUL WALKER, MORE!) and the new movie now involves a completely ridiculous plot twist that I won’t give away. Yes, I know all of these movies feature ridiculous plot twists, but this one is ridiculous even by Fast and Furious standards.